Outsourcing Projects

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Useful tips for writing efficient CSS

Jonathan Snook has posted a few great CSS coding tips in Top CSS Tips. Several of them come down to personal preferences, and it seems my preferences differ a bit from Jonathan’s in some cases, so I thought I’d go through his tips and note my take on each of them.

px for font sizes

Jonathan’s arguments for using px make sense, but I always use em. I’ve learned how to use a combination of percentages and ems and feel comfortable sizing text that way.

CSS declarations on one line

Unlike Jonathan I use a single line for rules that only contain one declaration, but multiple lines for rules with multiple declarations. TextMate’s code folding takes care of the rest for me. Jonathan makes a valid comment about file size savings with single line declarations though.

Blocking the Styles

I do pretty much the same thing: first element declarations, next global classes, and finally the layout containers and sections.

Read More Article...

1 comment:

Toni Shrader said...

Thanks for this great post concerning CSS...its something we all need to keep in mind when writing for the web.